UNISON Labour Link

Labour Link

Labour Link works directly within the Labour Party to take UNISON’s policies into the heart of the party. We work at local and national level and have a network of Labour Link officers at branch, regional and national levels who work together with other affiliated unions to promote our agenda.


UNISON regularly lobbies politicians in the UK Parliament, the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and Northern Ireland Assembly as part of our campaign work and to pursue our objectives and priorities.

Lobbying is how we get our message directly to the politicians who make the decisions that affect our rights, our quality of life and the quality of our public services.

Contributing to political activity

To take part in political activity unions have to maintain a political fund - and in UNISON you can choose whether to pay a proportion of your subs into the affiliated political fund (Labour Link), the general political fund (GPF), both, or neither.

General political fund

The general political fund (GPF) is not affiliated to any political party. The money you pay into the fund is used to support local campaigns, to give a boost to the union's national political campaigns and pay for political advertising.

Much of the high profile political campaign work you see from UNISON is paid for by the general political fund.

But its not just the big things the GPF funds. All sorts of national and local projects and campaigns benefit from receiving funding this way, such as anti-cuts campaigns or local campaigns against hospital closures for example.

If your branch has members in it who pay into the GPF, the branch can apply for financial support for a political campaign or activity.

GPF application form  [PDF]

Form to transfer between the political fund and the general fund [PDF}

Form to contribute to both political funds [PDF]

Political fund exemption form [PDF]