Help from your rep

Help from your rep


As a UNISON member you have direct access to representatives, or reps, who are available to support you. There are different kinds of workplace reps and they can each help you in different ways.  

UNISON steward or workplace rep

A steward may also be known as a workplace rep. They are someone who has been officially elected to represent UNISON members within a particular workplace. Your UNISON steward or rep is trained to represent you and they will be able to answer your questions on general employment rights. 

Your steward can help you to deal with issues including:

  • disciplinary or grievance procedures;
  • collective problems or grievances at work;
  • long-term sickness or absence;
  • issues around time off to care for your dependents.


Health and safety rep

Your health and safety rep will be able to help and advise you if:

  • you have had an accident at work;
  • your working conditions are unsafe;
  • you think your work might be making you ill. 



Learning rep

A learning rep promotes lifelong learning and workplace development. 

Speak to your UNISON learning rep if you need help negotiating training with your employer or to find out about learning opportunities. 


Workplace contact

If you do not have an elected steward or any specialised reps in your workplace, you may have a UNISON workplace contact. 

Workplace contacts are not elected, but they represent UNISON in the workplace and will be able to advise you on where you can get the help you need.

Not sure who your rep is? Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or visit: www.unisonuclh.org.uk/index.php/our-reps